State of the Vine

State of the Vine

Black Salt Restaurant & Vino

I recently visited a restaurant in DC called Black Salt. My bottom line...The wine and food was superb!

Restaurant: Black Salt, Palisades neighborhood, DC
Wine: Taittinger Prestige Rose, France
Varietal: Blend of Pinot Noir & Petit Meunier grapes
Tasting Notes: Notes of strawberry (and other berries I can't quite put my finger on) on the palate, a tad bit creamy, slight hint of hazelnut.
My Verdict: I know this wine is no secret, but for me it was exciting because I was finally able to try a "higher end" brut rose. I have to say it was quite tasty. The bubbles were a bit smaller (not a bad thing, but worth noting) and it was very refreshing. 




*Fun Fact about this Rose: "The Taittingers were a family of wine merchants who, in 1870, moved to the Paris region from the Lorraine in order to retain their French citizenship after the Franco-Prussian War and the Treaty of Frankfurt (1871)." (Wikipedia)


On to number two...


While I was waiting at the bar for my table to be ready, I had a delightful wine from their by-the-glass menu.






Wine: Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley 2010
Price: $16.95/glass
Tasting Notes: Dark color, rich aromas on the nose, medium to full bodied, notes of black cherry and currant
My Verdict: While the price-per-glass of this Cab is a tad steep, it's totally worth it because the wine glasses are the size of mini-fish bowls (yet still oddly enough, very elegant looking).

 



Food-wise... I had tuna with yucca frites and a black bean aoili. Very good.

And the dessert, house made ice cream. Exquisite.




Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment