State of the Vine

State of the Vine

*The Grape Unknown: A Red from Uruguay


This is my very first Tannat and my first Uruguayan wine!




Pueblo del Sol Tannat 2013

Varietal, Region: Tannat, Juanico, Uruguay
Price: Sip ($3.75), Glass ($7.50), Bottle ($30)
Available at: Screwtop Wine Bar 

 My Tasting Notes: This wine is a dark red color and medium to full bodied. Slightly spicy and oaky but great balance. Notes of cherry and plums and a nice finish.  
My Verdict: The server at Screwtop said it was a dry wine, and I'm not the hugest fan of ultra dry wines, but I decided to give it a shot. This wine is definitely worth trying. I could tell right away that it wasn't a "typical" red grape but I mean that in a good way.

More on the grape: After doing a little research, I found out Tannat is a red grape that has roots in South West France, and is considered the "national grape" of Uruguay. It's also found in Argentina, Brazil, Peru and Bolivia (as well as the Puglia region of Italy where it is used as a blending grape).

Food: We also had some "Tres Tacos al Puerco" and they were divine. Needless to say, they vanished from the plate before I even thought to take a picture. But, it's always a great excuse to go back...

*I can't take credit for coming up with "The Grape Unknown." It's one of the cleverly named categories of wine on Screwtop's menu.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment