State of the Vine

State of the Vine

VA Wineries: Sunset Hills & Breaux

My fiance and I recently took a day trip to scout out potential wedding venues in Virginia wine country and, of course, to taste some of the local "vino."


Our picnic lunch: 



We went to 2 wineries, both in Purcelville.

This is a view from the barn at Sunset Hills, where we did the first tasting.







When we arrived, there was live music and people were outside, relaxing and mingling. The staff was very friendly and answered all of our questions about wine and weddings! 

Interesting Fact: One thing I learned at Sunset Hills...the term Meritage is trademarked. More about that in a future post...

My Verdict: I really enjoyed their reds. And to my own utter shock, my favorite of the reds was a Merlot. I expect to see a pig fly by my window any minute now!

Vineyard #2: Breaux




Breaux is one of, if not the most, picturesque vineyard I've ever been to. I tried to take the best pictures possible (courtesy of the iphone4), but I feel like it was hard to capture everything. 

This place seriously looked like the Italian countryside.

If you let your imagination run away with you for a second you might be able to trick yourself into thinking you're just out and about in the Italian countryside.

Breaux also had music and little tables for people to sit at and everyone was extemely nice there too, and fun to talk to! 

My Verdict: These wines were also very good and a little different than those of Sunset Hills. The reds here were more old world style, a little heavier but not roo heavy and a good Virginia grape.

Interesting Fact: They actually grow Malbec grapes at the vineyard which is the first Virginia vineyard I've heard of that grows them, but they are only used in blends. 

In the about 5 years since I moved to the area, I think Virginia wines have improved dramaticallyI really can't emphasize that enough!


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment