State of the Vine

State of the Vine

Virginia is for Wine Lovers

Image Credit: Virginia.org



I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Virginia wines are getting so much better


Here are two I've tried recently that I loved. 



Virginia Wines



Image Credit: Rappahannock Cellars




Varietal: 39% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 17% Cabernet Franc, 9% Petit Verdot
Available at: Water & Wall (by the glass or bottle) 13/50, at the vineyard itself (or online)
My Tasting Notes: Medium to full bodied, hints of mocha and vanilla and oak with just a sliver of fruit. 
My Verdict: Excellent Virginia wine. One of the best I've had yet. . I could see myself sipping this one by the fire on a cold night on a ski mountain. I haven't been able to visit the vineyard yet, but a trip is planned in the very near future. 




Image Credit: Philip Carter Winery

Philip Carter. Cabernet Franc
Varietal: Cabernet Franc blend
Available at: Virginia ABC stores for $19.10/bottle, or find a restaurant or store
My Tasting Notes: Strong tannins, slightly spicy, toasted taste. Hints of fruit but not too much fruit. Well balanced.
My Verdict: This one is a little lighter bodied than the Rappahannock Meritage and a good bet for a drinkable, tasty Virginia red. 






Bonus: If you're looking for a Virginia wine at a local ABC store, their website has a handy finder.



Cheers!    



No comments:

Post a Comment