State of the Vine

State of the Vine

Wines of Slovakia


Anthony and I went to the Embassy of Slovakia for a wonderful classical music concert recently. We've been to a few events there before because I have ancestors from the country, and some living there now! Its a wonderful way to connect with my family history, and have a cultural experience... dare I say a blend of diplomacy and wine?

There I had a great conversation and learned that Slovakia has a fantastic wine region.

Unfortunately, the wines are not available in the U.S. at the moment (the Embassy brought them over from Slovakia), but if I have anything to do with it, that will change in the near future.

    A Slovak selfie!

    The awesome chef preparing specialty Slovak dishes!


The Wine


                                          

This wine is a great red. A ruby red color, medium bodied and juicy, with hints of cherry and blackberry and a slight taste of cinnamon. Minimal tannins and well balanced.*

*Because I don't speak Slovak, it's been a little more difficult for me to find more information about this wine but I will post as I find it!


Family History



(Above) My grandfather's cousin, Martin Butora (the first Ambassador from Slovakia to the US) and I, and his wife Zora & I (below) meeting for the first time here in DC a few years ago!


Cheers to great wines and connecting with my family tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment