State of the Vine

State of the Vine

Malbec & Dessert In Ballston

My fiancé and I have both heard a lot of wonderful things about Willow, a restaurant on Fairfax Drive. It's within walking distance of the Ballston Metro station! 

Even though I hadn't been the restaurant before, I have had their Belgian Chocolate brownies...and at the risk of sounding like a writer for Cosmo, they are beyond "swoon-worthy." I first tried one at the Ballston Farmers Market over the Spring/Summer and from then on, I was hooked.

I returned every Thursday for one, and they would always say, "Just one? They freeze really well!" Let's just say I stuck to one every time because I knew if I went home with more, they would most likely never make it as far as the freezer.

On to the wine:

My favorite by-the-glass red is a Malbec from the Patagonia region of Argentina


Valle Perdido, Malbec, 2010 
Arlington Restaurant, Neighborhood: Willow, Ballston 
My Tasting Notes: Fragrant nose, hints of mocha,plum, and blackberry...smooth aftertaste
*This Malbec is also noteworthy because it comes from the Patagonia (yes, like the fleece jackets) region of Argentina, and the majority of Malbecs I've seen on store shelves in Arlington come from Mendoza.

I know this is a wine blog (with select coverage of the Arlington dessert scene) but I can't end this post without mentioning the tater tots at Willow. They were to die for.



                                               

Go get some. NOW. :)



Under any normal circumstance, I would have gotten dessert at Willow but we wanted to stop at Grand Cru Wine Bistro. I know from experience, they also have an excellent chocolate and ice cream lovers dessert.





Grand Cru has a great happy hour as well, and many reasonably priced, and pricier wines, for sale.


We bought a bottle of bio-dynamic Côtes du Rhône while we were there to take home.. Stay tuned for a review on that in my next post!

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment