State of the Vine

State of the Vine

Vine Find of the Week: Ribera Del Duero ( &Iberico Ham)

Conde de Siruela Roble, 2010
Varietal, Region: 100% Tempranillo, Ribera del Duero, Spain
*Store, Neighborhood: Shoppers, Falls Church
Price: $11.99
My Tasting Notes: A light red, slightly spicey on the nose with notes of cherry. A slight mineral taste, but nice structure.
My Verdict: Great deal. For a lighter wine, it packs a nice punch. 
Interesting Note: This wine comes from Northern Spain, Castilla y Leon, on the Northern half of the Iberian Plateau. 
The area is close to Portugal which shares the Douro Valley, and also produces wines from the region that tend to be on the sweeter side (some, but not all, are Ports).

On a related note, my fiancĂ© goes bananas for Iberico ham. Normally, I wouldn't touch ham with a 10-foot poll (although, I do love prosciutto and bacon, but no, they are not the same or they would have the same name). 

That being said, if you ever get a chance to try it, Iberico ham is fantastic (I'm pretty sure the region is also home to truffle-sniffing pigs, too)! 

While I've never seen Spain in person, one of my little sisters Colleen has been there several times (and just brought me back some amazing chocolate). 

And my cousin Matt's wife Isabelle is from Spain! When we went to NYC a few years ago to celebrate their wedding-the original one was in Spain- they had the family over to their apartment and guess what was among the foods they served? Iberico Ham! The fiancé was in heaven.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment