State of the Vine

State of the Vine

Wine of the month club: Month One, May


I'm a proud new member of a wine of the month club!

The club is through Grateful Red Wine shop and Screw Top Wine Bar. I recently picked up my first two wines! There are pick up parties each month but I wasn't able to attend this one.

They have several different wine club options (& a beer club). Even though I'm not a huge fan of white wines (hangover), I decided to try the club with one red and one white each month, mostly because it's about $20 cheaper per month.

Someday I might upgrade to "Club Red" but if the first month is any indication, I might stick with this one.

May Red:

Field Recordings "Fiction", Paso Robles, 2012

Varietal: 40% Zinfandel, 13% Tempranillo, 12% Petite Sirah, 11% Touriga Nacional, 10% Mourvedre, 8% Grenache, and 6% Cinsault
Price: about $20 per bottle
Available at: Grateful Red*
Tasting Notes: A nice combination of spicy, fruity and jammy. The different varietals of grapes meld together very well for a nice finish.
My Verdict: Normally I would have looked at all of the grape varietals that went into this and thought, less is more. But that's the beauty of a wine club. What a pleasant surprise...Loved it.







May White:

Head Hunter Albarino, Paso Robles, 2012

Varietal: Albarino
Price: about $20 per bottle
Available at: Grateful Red*
Tasting Notes: It tastes just like apricot.
My Verdict: I had the shock of my life when I opened the bottle and saw that the white wine on the inside was cloudy not clear!! But I have to say, don't judge a book by its cover because this one was pretty terrific (and again, I hardly ever gush about a white). This one is different than most, but very enjoyable.

*I'll do my best to post updates when I find this for sale elsewhere in Arlington

No comments:

Post a Comment