State of the Vine

State of the Vine

A "Best Kept Secret"


I found this wine when I was perusing the aisles at Whole Foods in Clarendon, and feeling slightly overwhelmed by the many choices. Luckily, someone was working in the wine section who came to my rescue!

After asking me a few questions about what types of wines I like, what I was looking for, I was told to try this one...it was even referred to as a "best kept secret!" 

Secrets are no fun in the wine community so here it is!



Bodegas Sobreno, Finca Sobreno, Crianza, 2010
Varietal, Region: Tempranillo, Toro, Spain
Price: about $14
Available at: Whole Foods, Clarendon and Total Wine*, Sterling
My Tasting Notes: An intense red, dark fruit, slighty oaky and medium amount of tannins, full bodied and notes of plum and violet.
My Verdict: Great "old world" red with lots of character. May be best in colder weather but who am I to follow any rules? :)
Important Tip: DECANT, DECANT, DECANT! I can't tell you how much of a difference it made with this wine. I'd decant for at least half an hour to an hour before enjoying.

*Full Disclosure: The one I found at Total wine is a 2009. It's probably pretty tasty but I can't guarentee it!

No comments:

Post a Comment