State of the Vine

State of the Vine

Appellations of Bordeaux: Part One

Recently I had a "Grande" revelation...I desperately want to better acquaint myself with the different appellations of Bordeaux, to find out which ones I prefer the most. Of course, this has always been on my wine research to-do list but let's face it, there are so many different and fantastic wines out there, it's easy to get distracted!

So, I was sweating my way through a workout on the elliptical and flipping through a Glamour magazine I borrowed from my younger sister when I stumbled on an interview with Cecily Strong from Saturday Night Live. She talked about her experience working at a wine store when she was 22, and how everyone should know their favorite Bordeaux blends.

I agree...So voila! My first appellation-specific blog post is born...

This week I'm tackling Saint-Émilion.



La Grande Dame de Chateau Lavagnac, Bordeaux Superieur

Varietal, Appellation, Region: Merlot & Cabernet Franc, Saint-Émilion Bordeaux
Price: $18-22/bottle
Available at: Whole Foods & Grateful Red, Clarendon
My Tasting Notes: Medium bodied, smooth, slight oak and tannins, notes of dark cherry and red fruit
My Verdict: I really really liked this one. A good deal, not too light or too heavy. I will definitely be getting more of this one!











Chateau Vignot, Grand Cru, 2007

Varietal, Appellation, Region: Saint-Émilion, Bordeaux
Price: $70/bottle*
Available at: The University Club, Washington, DC*
My Tasting Notes: Full-bodied, slight mineral taste, with round tannins and red berry fruit.
My Verdict: A little too heavy for summer, probably a wine that gets softer and easier to drink with age. Also, it wasn't decanted at the restaurant, and I think that might have helped a little.

*My fiancé and I tried this bottle at the while eating dinner at the University Club restaurant, so I'm guessing the price was marked up. I have yet to find a retail store that carries it in the DC/VA/MD area but I will update this post as soon as I do!

Coming in future posts...my reviews of Médoc, Graves and Pomerol



Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment