State of the Vine

State of the Vine

A Field Trip To Vino Volo


Last week I went to a Wine Night for my college sorority Chi Omega's alumni chapter at Vino Volo in Bethesda. I am definitely more of a Northern Virginia gal than a Maryland one, but Bethesda is nice area and I always have a great time at these alumni events. Plus, who am I to turn down a new wine bar experience?

Also, it's just a few blocks from the Bethesda metro.

loved the experience and the happy hour red, a Tempranillo, was terrific.


Happy hour, Neighborhood: Vino Volo, Bethesda
Specs: M-F, until 7p.m.
Happy hour red: Jorge Ordonez Actea Tempranillo, La Mancha, Spain
Price: $4/glass
My tasting notes: I am borderline-obsessed with Tempranillos from La Mancha and this I can confidently say is one of my new favorites! This wine is full bodied, silky tannins, notes of blackberry and cherry with a nice finish.

*Also try: Spann Vineyards Red Blend, Lot 9

The Verdict: What I loved about this wine bar was with every wine you order by the glass, you get a little fact sheet that doubles as a coaster to take home (pictured above). Yes, it's just a piece of paper, technically, but it helped me to remember the characteristics I like best about the wines. Not only that, but their pork tacos were pretty good too!

The only downside, is the by-the-glass wines (non-happy hour) are a bit on the pricier side. I think the cheapest is $11 but that actually happened to be the other one I really liked! The waiter recommended it, because I liked the Tempranillo, and he was "spot-on."


*For those with wheels, there is a location in McLean .

No comments:

Post a Comment