State of the Vine

State of the Vine

Rainy Day Favorites: Malbecs

Right now, I'm plotting my escape from this depressing Arlington/DC weather to the vineyards of Argentina. 

But...as lovely as that sounds, it's unlikely that I will be able to make it there and back before work tomorrow...so in the meantime, these are my favorite Malbecs to help ease the rainy day blues!



Crios 2012
Varietal, Region: Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina
Arlington Store, Neighborhood: Whole Foods, Clarendon, World Market, Pentagon City
Price: around $15-18
My Tasting Notes: Medium to full bodied, hints of black cherry, mixed berries, aromas of violet and toasted oak. Well balanced, spicy and jammy.
My Verdict: This wine comes from a vineyard with a woman at the helm, which is apparently not too common in Argentina. Susana Balbo at the Dominio del Plata Winery has been making wine for 25 years, and I have to say, she knows what she's doing! This Malbec is a great deal and is the first wine that made me truley excited about this grape.

*If you are looking for this wine in DC, it's also stocked at the Safeway in Georgetown.



Zuccardi Serie Q, 2012
Varietal, Region: Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina
*Store, Neighborhood: Lenox Beer &Wine, Silver Spring
Price: around $26
My Tasting Notes: Aromas of ripe red fruit, black pepper and cherry, silky and velvety texture and tannins that are present but not overpowering.
My Verdict: This is an excellent, excellent wine and the best Malbec I have had to date (and trust me, it was hard choice). This wine was aged for a year in French medium toasted oak barrels which gives it great aromas and finish. It comes from the Familia Zuccardi winery.
*I know Silver Spring is not Arlington, but this is within walking distance of the metro and this wine was so good (and the one below) that I just couldn't pass up listing it. Im searching for it in Arlington, and will let everyone know as soon as I find it!




Zuccardi Serie A
Varietal, Region: Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina
*Store, Neighborhood: Lennox Beer & Wine, Silver Spring, by-the-glass at Rustico in Arlington, Ballston.
Price: (bottle) around $18
My Tasting Notes: This is more full bodied and "bold" than the Zuccardi Serie Q (above). Hints of spice and pepper on the nose, currant and plum and a deep purple color. Low acidity, and soft tannins.  Not as silky and refined as the Serie Q, but a little less expensive, and still an all-around great wine.




*Fun Fact: Most Argentinian wines are either sustainable or organic - Most Argentinian wines are considered sustainable and organic because the normal herbicides and pesticides used to fend away bugs aren't needed because they can't live at such high altitudes. The labels may not indicate this, though, because the Organic certification process is costly and time consuming.

Cheers!



















No comments:

Post a Comment